Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wicked

So Monday night I got to experience one of my Christmas gifts.  John's Mom took me and his 2 sisters to see Wicked at Proctor's. 

Oh. My. Gosh.

It was incredible!!

I love music, I love singing, and I love shows.  I had no idea (except a very small, basic knowledge) what the story line was.  I didn't know any of the songs.  Didn't know any of the performers either.

The story was awesome.  The songs were so great.  The dialogue was hilarious.  The performers were a-mazing!  Elphaba was my favorite.  She was the Wicked Witch of the West!  I know, I know...but unless you've seen the show or read the book, you don't know the whole story!  The WW of the W got a pretty raw deal.  And Elphaba was very sarcastic in the show...I loved that.

Ga-linda (with a 'ga') the Good was actually the understudy.  You'd never know it.  She did an awesome job.  I didn't like her voice as much as Elphaba's, but she was very good.  I just prefer the more alto voice, I think.

There were quite a few tongue-in-cheek references to The Wizard of Oz.  And some not quite so tongue-in-cheek.  It was very funny, and I liked finding the little 'clues' that came from the original movie.  (The WW of the East having those striped stockings on was one I particularly enjoyed!)

I wish I could go again.  It was such a fabulous show.  And I wish everyone I knew could go see it!!  If I ever have the chance, I will for sure go see it again!!

Wicked Pictures, Images and Photos

3 comments:

Kristi said...

My chorus class in college did some songs from Wicked. That was the only way I had heard of it. But from what I have seen and heard it's a great musical. I wish I was in NY to see it.

Scotto said...

The night we went Elphaba was the understudy and Glinda (The Ga is silent) was the regular girl (Helene Yorke). She was amazing. I thought the writing was A+ and the attention to detail was spot on. Being a big W of Oz fan I was worried it would be stupid but I have to say I liked wicked more then the movie, I knew the scarecrow was hidden something and Samantha has sung Popular so much that the guys at work caught me singing it.. Seen about 20 musicals at Proctors (shhhh I'm a closet song and dance want to be) and this would rank #2 only behind West Side Story.

Lynn said...

We're going to NYC for a weekend in January and are debating what to see...I'm leaning towards West Side Story.