Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

You know you're addicted when...

This morning my ever-so-loving and sweet husband informed me that he saw on the news how to know if you're addicted to facebook. He then proceeded to tell me that there is help for people like me. Thanks? I think.

First of all, how the heck is facebook addiction relevant enough to be on the news? (Although in recent weeks I've learned that relevance doesn't play much of a part in what makes the news.) Second of all, can my facebook addiction (yes, I'll admit to it) really warrant 'help'?

I decided to compile my own "You know you're addicted when..." list regarding facebook. So here goes!

You Know You're Addicted to Facebook when...
  • you mentally write your next status update on the way home from work
  • you say "like" outloud after a friend says something witty
  • you mentally tag photos as you're taking them
  • *insert brilliant mafia wars reference here*
  • as you clean/cook/etc. you keep facebook on the computer screen and click on any notification flag you get
  • first thing in the morning, last thing at night, you sign on just to see if anyone's left you any kind of comment or message
  • your self-image rides on how many comments you receive
  • if you need a recipe, directions or concert tickets you post it on facebook before you look anywhere else
  • you can miss an entire TV show while sitting right in front of the TV because you're searching for people you went to nursery school with
  • your dog has a facebook

And, true story. I did number one on my way home today, then also decided that I should make this list!

I know I'm addicted. But my defense is as follows: I can quit whenever I want (read: I can handle being without facebook while on vacation). It helps me stay in touch with friends I wouldn't otherwise communicate with (read: I'm too lazy to write a letter or even an email, so we stay in touch through status updates).

And finally...I don't want to be unaddicted. I'm happy with my facebook fanaticism. Real word? Not sure. I know I should try harder to be less addicted. I know it would make John happy and my house cleaner. I have 4 days off in a row starting tomorrow. Maybe I'll try to limit my facebook usage and see how much more productive I can be. Hmmm....

No comments: