Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2009

daycare etiquette

I've often thought that someday, when I have the time, when I'm not working or anything else, I'd like to write a book. I loved writing when I was little. I used to write shorts stories and the like. Over the past several years my mind has taken a different route...I'd like to write a book about daycare. More specifically, daycare etiquette. A book for parents, from a caregiver's point of view. Names will be changed to protect the guilty, er, innocent.

I would encourage parents to drop and run. Prolonging the goodbye does not make it easier. It's actually the opposite. Take it from me, I've seen how it works!

I would tell parents to watch the weather. Don't dress your child in a sweatsuit when it's going to be 80 degrees. On the same note, don't bring 3 changes of clothes (so I can change the child, depending on what the weather does) and then yell at me when I don't choose the right outfit to put on. Layers, people. We all do it.

Don't interrogate us about why we're using so many diapers. Don't be upset when we seem to not be using enough.

Don't come in bright and early and tell me that you were going to keep them home today. Then why didn't you???

Pretend to give a crap about what we did today. Even if you don't really care. We work hard to do fun things with your kids. Read our notes and act like you care!

Unless your child has a doctor's appointment, don't drop them off during nap! If you "just wanted to spend a few extra hours with them," keep them home the whole day! Or pick them up early!

Daycares have a closing time. It's not a suggestion. We've been here working all day. Just because you don't want to hurry home, doesn't mean that we don't want to. Show up before closing time!

Show a little appreciation. Yes, we're getting paid for what we do. It's our job. But everybody who works with kids has bad days, stress and headaches. We're taking care of your most precious possession. It never ceases to amaze me how good I feel when parents voice their appreciation for all our hard work.

I may add more to this later...

No comments: