Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Focaccia

After a beautiful day of snow falling yesterday I was in the mood for yummy food.  I make a big steaming pan of baked ziti, and it really hit the spot!  I also decided to try something new in the bread maker, thanks to my friend Catie!  She talked about how much she liked to make Focaccia bread, so I decided to try it.


Of course, I left my recipe book at work.  So I browsed a few recipes online and made a basic dough: 
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • 3 c. bread flour
  • 2 t. salt
  • 6 t. Italian seasoning
  • 2 t. active dry yeast
I ran it through the dough cycle in the bread maker which is such a great invention!!

Once it was finished I took it out, gave it a good punch, then pressed it out onto a greased cookie sheet.  I left lots of pretty little finger indentations, too.  For about 40 minutes I let it rise near the kerosene heater.  Then I drizzled some EVOO on it along with some fresh garlic and shredded parmesan and romano cheeses.  Oh yeah, I added some kosher salt too.  Into the oven (450 degrees) for 15 minutes.

And tada!


It's delish!  Already more than half gone.  And, wonder of wonders, John likes it!! 

If (when!) I make this again, I'll use just regular grated parmesan.  I think I'd like that better.  Besides that...no complaints here. 

I also thought about making it a sweet thing...I'd have to omit the Italian seasoning and maybe put brown sugar and cinnamon on the top...

The possibilities seem endless!

No comments: