Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2009

That's the difference

Don't you just feel different some days? Like there's no one else out there who could possibly think like you, act like you, or see things the way you do?

Sometimes, when I'm walking down the street (okay, I don't, on a regular basis, walk down the street...let's go with when I'm driving my car, or walking through the grocery store). Anyway, sometimes, when I'm doing some things, I look at those around me and think, "The difference between you and me is..." fill in the blank.

It could be anything, really, from the mundane to the extraordinary. From the petty to the emotional. The difference between you and me is I would never wear a shirt that tight. The difference between you and me is I could never afford that car. Or that haircut. Or that house. The difference between you and me is I have a conscience. The difference between you and me is that you're pregnant. And I'm not. The difference between you and me is I did not vote for Obama.

I could say something cliche now about how our differences are what make this world what it is. Or about how without the diversity of each and every person this life would be boring. And that's all true. But honestly what I'm feeling right now is there is no one in this world just like me, and that's a good feeling. I can't be duplicated, I'm unique.

And that's the difference between you and me.

No comments: