Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

10 lbs, 1 oz?!?!

JJ's Birth Story - Part One

Monday, March 21, 2011.  I had a doctor's appointment and a non-stress test for the baby.  All went well.  I was dilated, just about a centimeter.  JJ passed the stress test with flying colors (and hiccups!)  I asked my midwife about induction, seeing as John's sister was in town from California and we didn't want her to miss the birth!  My midwife didn't want to push things, seeing as this was my first baby.  I agreed with her totally, but I'll admit I was upset.  I was just so ready to meet my baby.  She told me she wouldn't plan to induce me until Monday the 28th, if all continued as it was.

She sent me for an ultrasound and I made my next appointment with her for Thursday, March 24.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011.  I headed to Bellevue, upset that I was going there for an ultrasound and not to have my baby!  As the tech began measuring different parts of JJ's body, it was hard to tell what was what.  He was so squished in there!  She printed out a couple pictures of his face, but you can't even tell it's his face because of the tight quarters.  Good news, he was head down, ready to go.  Bad news?  The tech put his estimated weight at 10 pounds and one ounce.  Ten pounds and one ounce. 

Now, I know these ultrasounds can be, and very often are, very wrong.  They can be off by up to a pound (or 2) either way.  The thing that scared me was, what if it's off and he weighs more than that?!

I asked the tech when my doctor would get these results, and she told me she'd get them that day.  I called John when I left Bellevue and let him know what was going on.  We decided that if I didn't hear from the doctor by that afternoon, we would call.

I stopped by my parents and was hanging out there for a bit when my phone rang.  My doctor's number was showing on the screen.  It had been less than an hour since my ultrasound.

She asked where I was, and I told her at my parents.  She said she'd seen the results of the ultrasound and said, "Why don't you start heading over to the hospital?"  !!!!  I could hardly believe it.  I told her I had to stop home and grab my bag (and my husband!) and she said that's fine, just head over as soon as we could.  We were going to induce.


Rachel said...

That is some scary news! I had to go down and check his birth weight before i finished reading! He was a big boy anyway! So cute too!

Anonymous said...

Wasnt it an awesome surprise to get that call?! I had a similar experience at that ultrasound to check her weight, they said she was measuring 9lb 4oz and her fluid was on the low end so had me head to the hospital (I too had to stop home and grab bag and meet Jay). Mine was scary since they made me have a c-section...but the best thing-----we both had happy healthy babies, and the ultrasounds were both wrong on the weights :)....Congrats Lynn..cant wait to read more about his birthday!